
Where did the time go? January is almost over. I'm noticing other bloggers reporting the same thing, "time flying by." I believe it only gives further evidence that time is not as absolute as we might think it is. Some days drag on forever, others pass all too quickly no matter how much I will them to last a little longer. January seems to be my cleaning month. I can't work in the yard so into the boxes and piles I dive. This year is in for a major purging. All the boxes that have been in storage next to the furnace (I'm sure that has been a fire hazard : ( ) since moving into this house from AZ are up in what used to be Danielle's bedroom. I'm going through it all and throwing away or giving most of it to DI. Why did I hang on to all this stuff?

From the Saturday Evening Post, Illustration by Pablo Bernasconi
http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2010/07/26/lifestyle/home-decorating/curing-clutter-epidemic.html
Some of it is memorabilia that I will hang onto and there are lots of photos that I will have to figure out how to keep them in such a way for them to be passed down and treasured, not just "junk" in a box. But should I be keeping every piece of pottery the kids made in ceramic class? What about that gigantic book from kindergarten with one little photo and huge drawings that Danielle did 17 years ago? That will probably have to be addressed another year. (Scanning and saving on Cd's or Thumb drives?) For now I'm slowing making my way through the boxes and dividing them into Throw Away, DI, or Keep. I will probably still be at it in March, but that's OK. I now have a room I can close the door on when I leave it out. Ron is painting all the walls in the house while he doesn't have work. It is wonderful! And because of the painting, all the holes and dings and poor construction of the house are being repaired as he goes. As furniture and appliances and pictures on the wall get pulled down, everything is getting deep cleaned. Every piece of decor is being evaluated as to whether or not I will keep it there, display it someplace new, or pass it on. I like most of my belongings, but I've always got this urge to change things and upgrade. There is an odd smell of wet dust and cleaning solutions mixed with the fresh paint everywhere. When Jessica and Alex came to visit they said they couldn't smell anything. Hum... good. .. but, I've decided I'm investing in candles to wick the smells away anyway. I've always wanted to have more candles. Once the painting is done I'll still have on my wish list for the house: new multi-color (hides the dirt)carpet, new wood floor in "Danielle's" room, tile for the kitchen and front room, new kitchen cabinets, built in book shelves in the family room, and new sectional leather couches. (although I may have to settle for fabric to recover the current couches instead - time will tell) My fingers are crossed that things will work out so that we can save enough for those things soon (in next couple of years). For now, I'll keep sorting through our junk, and appreciate the blank canvas I have around me on every wall to re-decorate. I'm really into Vinyl lettering and quotes but having a heck of a time deciding what I want to say on the walls. Glad they've made it less expensive now. Can't wait to see how Ron comes up with his idea for painting all the doors and trim next. He's talking about an assembly line style arrangement with the doors lined up like dominoes nailed together at the top out on the basketball court when it's sunny for several days in a row. Should be a fun project.
P.S. It snowed!!! Yay!!! Thank you. Looking forward to more. Ron thinks I need to pull the snowflakes down from the windows the end of January. I'm so glad we have a little of the real stuff on the ground. It just makes our Utah brown, naked winter look prettier. I think I will start making some Valentine decor to put on windows next. I hope Sara will help me. Pinterest here I come : ).
I'm so grateful this past week for:
P365G.219 Sat, 21 - the fun time taking pictures with Heather in her wedding dress in the snow/rain on the railroad tracks. I fell down and twisted my ankle :(, so I'm grateful for ice packs : ) Also the fun time with Ron at the Barbershop Choir dinner.
P365G.220 Sun, 22 - the awesome connection I enjoyed with the Primary kids as we sang about the beautiful world God has created for us.
P365G.221 Mon, 23 - being able to hear about the fun things the Asian club did at the high school to celebrate the Chinese New Year. Also the visit with the Shefchiks seeing the photos from their 3 week vacation and cruise and Bill for his chiropractic services, including my ankle. (1/27/12 note: I can walk on it now without limping and it is healing quickly!)
P365G.222 Tues, 24 - the quiet evening alone to sit with my foot up and sort through stuff and visit with Sara.
P365G.223 Wed, 25 - Diane Stanborough and Melissa Taylor who brighten my evening with their visits. They know how to refill my spiritual reserves and keep me connected to the sisterhood of the ward. Also grateful that George and Chelsie's baby was born OK and can now get the surgeries she will need to fix her heart so she can grow healthy soon.
P365G.224 Thur, 26 - take out dinner, while my kitchen is completely torn apart and a son who is better from the Stomach Flu.
P365G.225 Fri, 27 - opportunities to talk with Jim (the kid's dad) and work more things out for the better of all. Thanks Yolanda at DCSE for helping him through the paperwork.
Whew! Add 40 hours of work and 6 hours of commute time and what a week!
Still smiling! : )