
So we've done two new things to the small entry room of our house that have made a huge difference and I am loving it! I wanted to share a couple pictures. This isn't even remotedly like a how to, just showing off a little of Ron and my handy work in making the "Red Shutter House" more our home. I've got lots of ideas and plans for other areas I want to change up - one at a time. We sure have fun with these projects. I'm so grateful to have the dust settled and cleaned up from this last one. The results were so worth it!
First - we emptied the room. The piano is now downstairs in the family-room, waiting for the new Den to be finished. (That's a whole different project that I'd love to have done for Christmas 2013. Fingers crossed. The closet has been torn down so far - glad I can close the door on that project for now, but anxious to remove the door and widen the opening for a segway betwen the two rooms to "connect" them.) I pulled up the carpet and the Ron layed new unfinished hardwood floor that matched the existing hardwood floor in the kitchen and the small square in front of the entry door. Then he stripped the existing floor and sanded it about 5 layers worth 1 full week and using 2 different sanding machines. (This was the hardest part.) Then over 4 days we put on 4 coats of Polyuerethane - clear - no stain - so the woods beauty would shine through. This successfully removed all the ugly grey and worn spots in the wood, and made it lighter, which is what I wanted. Maple would have been ideal, but bare red pine worked out great, and cost hundreds of dollars less! Yay!



Second, we finally got an awesome comfy sectional for the family room and movie watching and moved the light floral print couch upstairs and I recovered it with this regal red patterned upholstry fabric that was on clearance at Hancocks. Incredible find that totally anchors my minimalist/ but traditional looking room. I still want to add a round gold rug and gold pillows and perhaps a few more personal decor items. I'm debating on the family photo on one wall. I think I need to balance the large mirror with smaller frames on that wall. Still waiting for the aha inspiration on that.
Anyway - its a great start!


Anticipating family gatherings as we grow and loving the slow but steady pace towards having spaces to enjoy being together. Crossing my fingers that we can have the CHristmas tree in the Den this year.