Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hello Body


So, thanks to Carolyn Ford who does free (by donation) Yoga every Wednesday night, I am becoming re-acquainted with my body. It's not the same body I had 25 years ago, when I used it to express myself through dance. My body aches to dance. But for now I'm learning to love the body I have now and getting it a little more flexible. I've got a long ways to go, but hey, I've only done 3 classes and I'm already seeing some improvement. One of the things Carolyn always says is, "Keep it on the mat." Which means to not compare yourself to anyone else, in the room or otherwise. Well it's kind of tough not to compare myself to me (the younger more flexible me) because on the mat we are both there. So last night I cried. I cried for her. She's gone and a lot has happened to her in the last 25 years. But she's stronger and better for it. I had to let her go . . . and as I came back to focusing on my mantra - Gratitude, prosperity and joy I found a little hope. Hope that one of these days sooner than later, I'll truly love this body with all it's bumps and bulges. In the mean time, don't snicker if you see me twirling in the backyard, or trying to stand on my head against the wall. It's the only body I have after all.