Friday, June 28, 2013

Lucas Rafferty Shane - Happy Birthday!

Today is Lucas' 19th Birthday. Happy Birthday my wonderful son! I am so grateful for this boy that I've been able to cuddle and comfort and raise. He is truly becoming an amazing young man. The day Lucas was born was a very exciting day. His three older sisters, Kira, Danielle and Jessica were very excited too. I have had all my children at home with a midwife. Abby Odam was our midwife for all of them but Sara. We didn't know if a boy or girl would come with each baby and that added to the excitement as well. It was a warm late summer evening when I started labor with Lucas. I had learned from experience with his three sisters (age 6 1/2, 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 at this time) that I did well sitting up in the recliner for early labor, but discovered with this baby that, that method wasn't working very well. I had a lot of back pain. So I ended up leaning forward over the end of the bed and on my hands and knees swaying back and forth. This helped quite a bit. I labored through the night and into the morning hours while the girls slept. When they woke up Jim fed them breakfast and the energy in the house increased and they realized that they would soon have another sibling to enjoy. We had planned on letting them be with us while I labored and delivered as we had done in the past. That morning things started to transition into more intense labor but I didn't want to get up from the hands and knees position I was in so I Abby and Jim helped me move to the end of the bed and I stayed in this "doggy" position to deliver. If I remember right Kira and Danielle were facinated and quiet as they watched, and little Jessica came and went, seeming not to be sure what to do with the intensity. At one point when the baby was moving down into the birth canal, I could not longer just moan and breath through the contractions and let out a scream/yell. Unfortunately it was right at a time when Jessica was near my face asking me questions and comforting me. It frightened her horribly and she thought I was yelling at her. She ran into the other room. I felt horrible! I couldn't do anything to comfort her. She had a favorite blanket that she had with her often and she grabbed that and sat on her bed in the corner. Later I learned that Jim had gone in and talked to her and told her everything was OK. Kira remembers everything about this birth to this to this day and will soon be delivering her own baby at home. I've always worried to this day that I have scarred Jessica in someway about birth and the joy of it all. Anyway, Lucas was born shortly after while I was still on my knees. Jim holding one leg and Abby catching him. As soon as we realized that he was a boy, you could almost feel a sizzle in teh air with the increased excitement. I immediately had no more pain and was able to recline back on the bed. Once remaining birthing matters were done, we settled ourselves in bed and the excited talking began. It was so fun to finally be able to use the boy name, Lucas Rafferty, we had picked out since we discovered we were pregnant for the very first time. Somehow in that first half hour of time, Abby or her assistant that had come to help her with this birth, went to a store and bought a big round birthday cake and candles. She put the entire box of candles on the cake and lit them and brought it into the bedroom. It was quite a fire of light. All of us laughed and blew out the candles and then Jim and the girls cut it and brought me a piece to eat to celebrate our handsome new brother/son! I remember feeling so complete and fulfilled. Lucas was able to nurse well quickly and his 3 older sisters were great nurturers. Women in our lds ward took care of us for a whole week, including doing our laundry and cleaning the house, as well as watching the girls. One of my favorite expressions of service was from a neighbor who brought me a single serving small plate of fresh fruit. It tasted so good compared to all the casseroles we weren't used to eating every day! Lucas was a happy calm baby, and got lots of attention from his sisters. He was patient and slept well amid the noise. I remember vacuuming and washing dishes with him strapped to me while he slept as I went about my mothering duties and playing with the older girls. As he grew, I could place him on a blanket with a few toys and he would play away while I sewed and did other things. He has become a very helpful son, very observant to the needs of others and quietly stepping in where needed. I love him so much! He is a quiet giant in my eyes. I'm grateful that I still get to hug and kiss him and he doesn't mind. : ) Happy Birthday again son! You ROCK!