Tuesday, January 6, 2015

My Goals

The New year is here! I've got a new haircut and a new attitude.  And I'm setting some goals that I am actually writing down and sharing to help hold me accountable for them.  A scripture was shared recently that seems to fit well with my desire to live moving with more purpose, simplify my stuff and getting healthier this year.

" . . .  let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith"

Hebrews 12: 1-2

I've already started losing weight from adopting a whole food, plant base diet.  I'm regaining energy and feeling good about my progress so far and will continue with that.  I recently had a conversation with my sister, who has lost a substantial amount of weight.  She looks fantastic!  It's an interesting thing we've had going on with us two girls in a family with 6 brothers.  She has always been the fat one and I was always the skinny one.  Well I didn't stay so skinny as I got older and never watched what I ate.  Then started working full time in a sedentary job. I spent about 5 years "not caring."  While my sister spent her whole life eating healthy and dieting, exercising like crazy and still being obese.  Although she was heavier, we all considered her to be the healthiest and strongest of us all.  She's made an amazing break through and has finally broke the "can't lose weight" barrier.  It's been a powerful thing for our whole family. AND I'm learning that it's not about being skinny - it's about being healthy and wise with my choices.

So . . .

Goal #1: My Health

               Eat Healthy Whole Food Plant Base:

Let go of holiday exception eating mentality - How I'm going to do this is by following the Happy Herbivores Weekly Meal Plan (see side bar for her blog) for dinners and eat simply for breakfast, lunch and snacks following the same foundation. Drink 4 - 24 oz containers of water every day. (Hopeful side effect getting off my diabetic and high cholesterol medicines.)

               Exercise 6 days a week:

Right now how I will do this is by going to our local recreation center at 6 am every morning before work. Monday,Wednesday, Friday I'll do water aerobics (lucky for me my sister will join me - win/win!).  Tuesday and Thursday I will do Yoga (today was first class and it was hard - looking forward to getting stronger.) Saturday - hopefully I'll be able to take a jog with my sweetheart.  Sunday - rest!

Goal #2: My Relationships

               Strengthen Marriage:

How I will do this is by praying to see my husband's strengths and praying whenever I want to criticize him so I can make things better by looking to what I can do better first.  Having a bi-weekly council meeting with him to discuss concerns and make decisions and plans.  Compliment him on something good every day!

               Strengthen Family Relationships:

This year we will start a family reunion first weekend in September at our home with a camp out in our backyard. As grand children get older we will implement more events that "cousins" can do together so they know each other.

Goal #3: My Environment
   
                Declutter and Simplify Home

How I will do this is by eliminating any unnecessary storage and possessions that I don't feel are useful or make our home beautiful.  The goal is to have nothing in a room that doesn't make it beautiful or helps with the purpose of that room.  When I can I'll do more, but the goal is to do at least one box a week and one room a month until completed.  This includes holiday decor stored in the furnace room as well.

                 Complete remodels on unfinished master bathroom and bedroom. Remodel kitchen to be more functional and beautiful.

Goal #4:  My Spirituality

                 Have more meaningful prayer and improve study of scriptures with husband in evenings.

                 Listen to prophets through General Conference talks while driving to and from work.

It feels good to have these written down and not swimming around in my head, and I hope that will help make each one a reality.

May you all find success in reaching your goals, "laying aside every weight, and sin that does so easily beset us" and "looking to Jesus" for help in doing so.