Friday, September 2, 2011

P365G - 131 - Courage in Numbers

So I've been excitedly telling anybody in the family who would listen about my canoe story. I mentioned how cool I thought it would be to have a canoe to put gifts in at the reception for Alex and Jessica. I was telling my sister about the house where I saw an old wood stripped canoe on their side yard. Donalyn, my sister lives in the area so I thought maybe she would know who they were and that would make it easier to ask them if we could borrow or rent it from them. Well, she didn't know who it was, but between the two chickens that were usually are, we had the courage together to go knock on the door. (We were secretly thinking - maybe they won't be home.) Well they were home and it was this cute older couple. We gave our crazy request to the woman, who we now know as Darryl Colson, and she gave us a funny look and then invited us in and went to get her husband. We told him what we were hoping to do and he laughed and said, "You can have it! I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of it!" Really? Yes really. Apparently an old friend of his gave it to him and he started to refinish it, but it turned out to be more work than he felt like it was worth. He thinks the friend gave it to him, because he didn't want it in his yard either. Well . . . today's the day we get to go pick it up, and I'm excited! Kind of silly huh?! Whatever.

And all you people who are saying, "How are you going to get that up to the third floor in the elevator where the reception center is?" - I checked out the stairs and they are plenty big and wide enough to carry it up there, and it's really a small,light canoe so it totally CAN be done. Call me crazy - but it's going to be very vintage, nautical, carnival AWESOME!!!! Wahoo!

So Donalyn, thanks for giving me the courage to ask and being part of a serendipitous event. Win/Win for the Win!

P.S. Yay! 4 day weekend for me. Happy Labor Day! (May it be filled with fun and only a little labor ; ) )